Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hats Off To A Pair Of Angels in Herman, Missouri - Little Gestures of Kindness Can Have Big Impact

Hats Off To A Pair Of Angels in Herman, Missouri.

Today, I was outside walking my dog in the river park, enjoying the striking beauty of the tiny town of Herman, Missouri. My wife, daughter and son-in-law were looking at gifts and crafts at the Kris Kringle Festival in the beautiful old exhibition hall. My wife discovered a couple that made wooden salt and pepper shakers, and pepper grinders and little boxes and the like. One of their items was a beautifully constructed and hand carved wooden wine bottle stopper. My wife was admiring it and realized on the top was the Navy seal. She pointed it out to my son-in-law, Navy retired with 28 years of active duty. He fell in love with the beautiful work of art. He said, “I would love to have that, but saving for my daughter's wedding, we are on a budget and we are not doing anything extra until that's finished.” He complimented the workmanship to the artist, who had picked up on the conversation. The artist asked, “You Navy?” And my son-in-law related his service. They moved onto another section of the exhibition hall. In a moment the artist approached my son-in-law and said, “Sir, my wife and I spoke and we would like you to have this.” My son-in-law, thinking it was a hard sell, said, “No, I'm just not spending a extra dime.” The artist said, “No, we don't want any money, we want to give this to you as a 'Thank You' for your years of service.” I'm relating second hand, since I was walking the dog, but my wife said that Rex's eyes welled as he thanked the man and he had to walk quickly away to regain his composure.

A few minutes later when Rex came walking down the street clutching a bag, I assumed that he had purchased something. I did notice that although he is a very pleasant fellow normally he was beaming like a kid and had an extra bounce in his step. Being too modest he didn't say, “Look what someone gave me.” I haven't seen the object and wouldn't know the story except my wife shared it. And I'm glad she did, because I want to say, “Un-named artist couple at the Kris Kringle Festival in the beautiful ole exhibition hall on the Missouri River in Herman Missouri, you two are Great Americans and Patriots, and precious souls, and your gift was well timed, well placed and the act of ministering angel. God Bless you both for lifting the spirits of a deserving veteran!

Butch Robinson 12/11/11

No comments:

Post a Comment