Monday, January 2, 2012

Portrait of my friend Mike Sharpe (Shapiro)

When I was a kid (teenager) I played flute on the original recording of  Spooky, which was composed by Mike Shapiro.  Mike play alto sax. It was an instrumental hit, which really doesn't happen that often. Some time later it lyrics were added and the Classics Four recorded it and of course it was a mega hit. 


The other day some musicologist told me Mike was playing a tenor sax. Unless I'm losing both my memory and my hearing it is an alto sax, "experts" notwithstanding - but stay tuned; maybe it oldtimers.  Four decades later I snapped a picture of Mike as I gave him a lift home from Charles King's instrument repair shop near down town Decatur, Georgia. Some months later I painted this "portrait" from that photo.  God Bless you Mike - I hope life is treating you well! 


Portrait of Mike Sharpiro (a.k.a. Mike Sharp) By Marion Robinson (a.k.a. Dr Butch)

The Original Instrumental Version

Classics IV Original Studio Recording

Mike Sharp, taken in the cab of my old F-150 Pickup. - God love you Mike.




1 comment:

  1. hello, how to contact Mike for the licensing of his song in an Indie movie. Herve

    ReplyDelete